Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Birds of A Feather



Since I am such a wild bird lover and love Alexander Henry's Bird Song print, I thought I would ask my quilty friends to flock together in combining the two for my month of November. Hopefully, this will be an easy and low stress project for this busy month.

What I have in mind is for you to use the two bird squares that you find in your envelope and combine them with scraps from your personal stash to create two 12.5 inch (12 in. finished) log cabin type blocks. You will also find two strips of Kona PFD cotton to use in one of the rings on each.

In creating your blocks, you might find these hints helpful:
*I'm looking for more of an overall “picture frame” effect than I am the typical shaded log cabin block. See my samples on the OBO Blog to see what I mean. Please, use only 90 degree angles, not 'WONKY'.

*Use the PFD Kona in one of the rings. You can trim it narrower if you want.
*The center bird print can be trimmed down if you want...there is no magic in the size square that you are sent.
*Use as many fabrics as you want to make the block with as many rings as you want. Please have the outer ring be a color though, and not the PFD. Be sure the outer ring is wide enough for my 1/4in. seam.
*It worked well for me to make the blocks a bit larger and then square up to the 12.5in. size.
*I would prefer that you not use batiks, children's prints or civil war repros. in making the blocks. Use any colors that you see in any of the birds, flowers etc. Solids are fine, but throw in a print as well.
*Here are a couple of tutorials that might be used as jumping off points..


Thanks so much! I will be mailing out the envelopes tomorrow.
Happy quilting,
Carla
www.lollyquiltz.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment