You'll feel sorry for me when I tell you that I wasn't able to make Michelle's February block, nor Victoria's March block because I didn't have a sewing machine for more than a month. I was in a Florida beachside condo for a couple weeks, and then in Tampa spending time with a ten month-old grandson. Poor me, huh?
But as soon as I got home, I got to sewing! Michelle, your block was especially challenging to make because the strips were in short supply! I had to piece three strips to get the lengths needed for string-piecing. Here's a picture of the wee pile of scraps I had left over. The largest piece was the 2" X 4" print on the far left.
This is a big block at 18-1/2" X 18-1/2" unfinished. I hope the seams aren't too noticeable.
Decorative stitches on my 830 Bernina Record are limited, but I think this one looks nice.
I was merrily decorative-stitching away when the sewing machine dramatically slowed speed. I couldn't figure out why until I opened the top of the machine to see that a cone of thread I had set aside got caught in the fly wheel! Lots of snipping and "arghs" later I was able to finish the decorative stitching.
Michelle, this is your block and leftover bits that were mailed to you today.
Victoria, thanks for the fun of picking green print scraps from my stash. You'll notice that I was sure to include a palm tree print (see at top right) that's sort of my trademark. With a blog name of "Flourishing Palms," I take every opportunity to work in palm trees.
Two additional tips when making this block:
- If you have a Sara Nephew Clearview 60-degree Triangle, it's great for trimming the six triangle units before sewing them together.
- It's helpful to put a piece of lightweight paper beneath the center circle, before appliqueing it down. The paper adds nice stability. My old Bernina doesn't have a blanket stitch, but the number two utility stitch looks nice.